Archive | November, 2016

Destiny: the Cubs and the Series

The 1908 Cubs

The 1908 Cubs

108 years later, and the Cubs won the World Series again. Just as they’d been destined to. It got me thinking about Destiny …

These are my preliminary results regarding a general theory of predestination, including information gathered from the World Series over the previous week.

Destiny is far different from magic. It’s part of the normal world, where everything involves cause and effect. Often, though, success depends on intent and leverage. If all sides in any conflict are fully prepared, all such preparation can cancel out.

99% of everything is purely cause and effect. Of the remaining 1%, 99% is where the intent and leverage comes in. Purity of intent and proper leverage often makes all the difference, but there is more. That leaves 1% of that 1%, 99% of which is luck, whimsy, the vagaries of quantum physics.

The remaining 1% of the 1% of 1% is wholly Destiny.

Destiny often looks like “the right man at the right time”; or, a succession of nested decisions or guesses; or, involuntary muscle spams; or, the weather; or, just luck. The difference is in the preordained quality of Destiny. Luck is always a surprise. Destiny is somehow expected.

Destiny reveals an underlying pattern to events. One usually can’t tell if the pattern came before the events or the events actually formed the pattern, but it doesn’t matter to me. Probably, different processes apply at different times.

Stupid decisions do not derail Destiny. Feats of great strength or profound cunning – that is, heroism – do not deflect it. Errors of omission or commission, errors in judgement or perception cannot alter its outcome though they may mess with its path. Profound dedication to its defeat will occasionally delay Destiny, but will never thwart its success.

The only place Destiny could be vulnerable is in the face of panic. The uncertainty and baseless fear induced by that condition invalidates faith and messes with the rhythms of life, pulse rate and breathing and such.

When Ross’ throw bounced off Russell’s foot, and Russell’s throw clanked off Baez’s palm, and it didn’t freak out John Madden or any of the Cubs, Destiny could be said to have proceeded right along.

Being absolute, Destiny has no place in quantum physics, but the probability of a destined outcome can theoretically be calculated.

I hope to shortly define methods whereby the patterns of Destiny can be identified. Frankly, with that publication I hope to put this subject to rest permanently.